Sunday, April 15, 2007

My First Hand-Dying Yarn Class...I'm hooked

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to take a yarn dying class at Yarn and Fiber in Windham, NH...with Cheryl Potter of Cherry Tree Hill Yarns!!! Whoo Hoo...it was a fun, educational, and eye-opening 3 hr. class. :) And...I came home with a skein of my own creation in Supersock 100% merino fingering weight. Wow! I learned a lot on how dyers create their colorways, and then we did an exercise on how to take an experience, place, event, feeling, attitude, etc...and translate it into a colorway! Cheryl is a great instructor, and I was very pleased with the free-feeling of creating my own colors and bringing the skein home. I think I'm hooked. I started to make a coffee colorway....all sorts of coffee, expresso, cream, etc...a java type theme...but I inadvertently ended up with mulberry, some burgundy, wierd blues, etc...and now it is called "Coffee and Cobbler"...I think of my morning coffee and a bowl of homemade berry cobbler. I can't wait to knit it. First, socks for Sis' birthday and then for Mom for...Mother's Day, of course. I began Sam's camouflage "army socks" Wed. night, and I'm just about finished with the second sock, with only an inch to go on the toe...these socks were a breeze, straight from Sensational Knitted Socks...I used Fearless Fibers Sportweight "Duck Season" colorway, and on size 3 needles, cast on 48 stitches, and it fits my 8 yr old son's 8 inch long foot perfect. He's so happy that he's shown everyone we've seen, including our Pastor this morning. I bring my sock sack with me everywhere I go, in case I get a few extra minutes to knit. It's amazing how much knitting can be done everyday while just squeezing in a few minutes hereand there!
I also have met my next little girl, I think. NO, not a human daughter...
a Schnoodle...half Schnauzer, half poodle. Sigh. She's 10 weeks old, black and salt and pepper with some white patches on her paws, yet cut as a Schnauzer. Sigh again. She's a love bug. I didn't mean to fall in love with her, although I have. If she joins our family, her name is...
Annie.
Annie looks like an Annie. That's why. So...stay posted, because I will certainly post about whether or not she comes home with us tomorrow. Call me nuts. I need to pray about this. Hubby is no help. He's an animal lover, too...but more level headed, I think. We'll see. I miss Hannah so much. I don't want to get a dog for the wrong reasons, and it has been 13 years since I had to train a puppy!
Weather Report: Snow, snow, snow. Nor'Easter, so they say, here in New England.

No comments: