Saturday, June 16, 2007


Here's the offical blah blah scoop on Manos del Uruguay wool...this is posted from one of my very favorite online yarn shops, Kaleidoscope Yarns...

"Handcrafted, kettle dyed single ply soft spun worsted blended Merino and Corriedale wool yarn that is a true pleasure to work with and wear! The dying process creates a marbleized, striated effect, sometimes subtle, often dramatic effect. The yarn is created by the "Hands of Uruguay", a nonprofit organization comprised of more than 400 artisans in coopereratives scattered throughout the countryside of Uruguay that promote opportunities to rural women. Needles used are size 8-10, guage is 14-18 stitches per 4 inches. Each skein has 138 yards."

OK, this is a yarn that I adore. Manos. I've only felt with it, but it's on my list of lovely yarns. I've felted my Sea Glass felted bag from Lynn Wilson Designs, and it's drying...I still need to attach handles and embellishments.
Manos is a strange yarn for a newbie felter...so soft, lengths of very thin and then very fat ply...variagated color saturation, but the felted product is amazing.

So what does a knitter do? Order more. More Manos. More colors. More Knitting!

1 comment:

lauriec said...

I purchased some Koigu at Kaleidoscope Yarns when I was home in VT last month!!