Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Attention! I Have Gauge on First Attempt


What a pleasant surprise. Yes, I obtained correct gauge on my first attempt with the Shire Silk yarn for the Lace Hem Topping. What a nice feeling! I didn't PLAN on casting it on yesterday, but I did. Yes, I do feel a bit guilty for putting aside my Tangerine Twist for a day or two, but the feel of the silk swatch just put me over the edge, so I cast on the silk. I couldn't help myself!

It's interesting to me that I obtained gauge on the recommended size needles (US 7) for this project, as usually I'm a very loose knitter and go down 1-2 needle sizes automatically. However, I find that this slightly textured yarn has me knitting tighter than usual (I'm using Addi Turbos as my Knit Picks are in use right now) and the swatch is soft, drapes well, and lovely to pet. If you are a knitter, you KNOW what I mean.

Last night was the first evening since last week where it wasn't raining, so hubby and I lit the "Tiki" type copper torches (citronella) on the new deck, lit the patio table candles, and sat in the rocking glider...and I knit. The youngest rocked on the hammock. Our teen was at Driver's Ed (so house was quiet).

Due to the citronella, we weren't eaten alive by the mosquitoes, and I was able to observe our early evening visitors to the bird feeders...the hummingbird to the nectar, and the cardinal pair, the chickadees and chipmunks stuffing themselves. I had to but a squirrel baffle on the bird feeder (which holds 6 different feeders, actually) to deter the ever so cute, but voracious chipmunks who recently discovered that they could climb the pole to obtain a never ending supplyh of sunflower seed. :)

2 comments:

km said...

I love watching God's creatures in the yard too. We just moved our bird bath to another area and I can see the birds from in the house. =0) Better than T.V.

Dorothy said...

What a perfect evening!