Thursday, September 27, 2007

Mr. Greenjeans!

Mr. Greenjeans KAL
Mr. Greenjeans by Amy Swenson in the Fall 2007 issue of Knitty
I was pulled into this swap by my own lusts and desires...I love the pattern, and I desire to knit it! So, I will. Oh, there's also a Ravelry group, of course. I'm in.
I talked myself out of going to the LYS (although I "must" go, I said, to buy a gift for my secret pal's box...) Why not go to the LYS? Um...I need to pay the mortgage tomorrow, and I have a weakness for yarn. Duh. My bad, as my teen would say. However, I DO have a stash of Berroco Pure Merino in Bordeaux (a wine color, perfect for fall).

Do you like knitting lace? or are intrigued by it?
I do, and I am.
I came across Knitting Beyond the Hebrides (KBTH) website, which is listed as this noted below:

"Welcome to the home of Knitting Beyond the Hebrides. The KBTH website and list are dedicated to those wanting to share information and techniques about traditional forms of knitting, such as Fair Isle, Aran and Guernsey. We also discuss different designers and other interesting techniques and types of knitting, such as intarsia and lace. Although we tend towards more advanced discussions, we welcome thinking knitters of any skill level who are interested in learning and trying new techniques.

MAY 2006 brings with it a KBTH exclusive: the Online Symposium on Lace Knitting. Have you ever wanted to try lace, but have been put off by charts, fine and slippery yarn, and a perception that lace is difficult to master? Join us and find out that it's really not that hard."

At the above site is a gallery, library, links, and associated patterns...but also...I found this!
KBTH Lace Virtual Conference
The Same but Different
Shetland Lace in a European Context
by Elizabeth Lovick
It covers Shetland, Icelandic, Faeroese, Estonian, Ukranian, and Orenburg laces, keys to charts, history of various laces, terminology, and 3 lovely, lovely patterns in various yarn weights (light aran, laceweight and cobweb). Copyright says that "you may make one copy of this document for your use only." It appears to be a 43 page treasure trove of lace-knitting treasure trove of information from the author. I notice her website is at Northern Lace.
At her site, she offers free patterns for a Shetland Lace Cat's Paw Scarf in fingering weight, and an Aran Weight Gansey Scarf. You must see! :) Elizabeth also offers lovely wool, patterns, and books for sale...time for me to go shopping at her site, I see. :)
This is my next lace step after the Branching Out Scarf and Forest Canopy Shawl (WIP).
Just wanted to share this information with you. :)

No comments: