Thursday, September 27, 2007

FFBE Weekly Question

As of this weekend, the season has officially changed on the calendar - but what makes Autumn feel like Autumn to you, and why?

Here in New Hampshire, Autumn to me incorporates: the briskness of a cool sunny day, the colored leaves on trees and lawn (which then end up in the house between the kids and dogs), apple picking, pumpkin farm visits, the need for a sweater, a rake, and a hot coffee or cider. Autumn is my favorite time of the year...perfect temps (no need for air conditioning or my sub-zero outerwear), a perfect excuse for knitting while watching outdoor soccer games, and if it's cold, dreary and rainy...it's a good excuse to bake that apple pie, make a wonderful large pot of homemade chicken (and pastini) soup, and knit, knit, knit.
Does anyone remember pressing Fall leaves between sheets of waxed paper as a child? I love the smell of the leaves! Which reminds me...the teen at home needs to rake the yard. :)
Enjoy Fall, Ya'll!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always always loved that smell of the iron melting the wax paper with the yummy scent of those fall colored leaves... I hope we have some to press soon with our kiddos!
your secret swap pal....